Hartlepool Fish Company Ltd would like to extend thanks to those kind people who have submitted images to be included on this page.
The two photographs above, from Michael Boagey's collection, show part of the fishermens' blockade which took place at the Fish Quay in 1975. It was over protests of imported fish and quotas.
Hartlepool Fish Quay in 1980 from the collection of Michael Boagey.
A nice colourful photograph of the Hartlepool vessel "Achieve" (HL 257) from the collection of Michael Boagey.
"Adaptable" (HL 41) on the left was built for Robin Robinson and Tommy Raw who was a local newsagent. "Pavonia" (HL 114) is now scrapped and was owned by the Picknet family of Redcar & Hartlepool.
Three photographs of "Avondale" (HL 112) one of four vessels built for Hartlepool owners by James Noble of Fraserburgh. She's now been converted into a houseboat.
Launch day for Avondale (HL112) in 1957.
Avondale (HL112) at the quayside in the winter of 1971.
"Boy David" (HL 107) was built in 1921.
"Castle Eden" (HL 115) was one of four vessels built, by James Noble of Fraserburgh in 1958, for Hartlepool owners. She caught fire and sunk mid 1960's.
"De Hoop" a Support/Hospital ship for the Dutch Herring Fleet shown here in the Victoria Dock during the late 1950's. Photograph © copyright unknown.
Two images of the "Dunelm" (HL 89) which was built in Buckie 1958 and, sadly, lost with all hands in 1959.
Embrace (KY 43) photograph © copyright unknown.
A classic from the archives showing the "Endeavour" (HL 42) which was once owned by Hartlepool skipper Kenny Johnson. Another from the collection of Michael Boagey.
"Fairy Cove" (HL 10) was built in Hessel in 1955 for James Graham & Sons, Victoria Dock, Hartlepool.
Out at sea is the "Fairy Cove" (HL 10) with a few gulls for company.
"Fiona Fay" (HL113) was built by James Noble in Fraserburgh, Scotland. Local man Michael Boagey's father was first skipper also helped with the design and layout.
"Kristiona" (HL 111) at the Fish Quay. Photograph © David Oliver.
"Kristiona" on her way back home approaching the old lifeboat station.
This came to us from the collection of Owen Corrigan and shows the "Eager" (LT 1166) and "Locarno".
"Moreleigh" (HL 160) leaving Hartlepool in the 70's. She was later seen aground in Fleetwood, during the late 70's, and left to break up and rot away.
"North Star" (HL 83) arriving at the Fish Quay.
"Our Katie" (HL 191) which was owned by Cedric & Keith Williams. Photograph supplied by Michael Boagey.
"Premier" (HL 2) heads down the channel towards the Fish Quay.
This is the John T. Graham (HL 69) in a rough swell. She was built by Hall, Russell and Company Limited Aberdeen, yard number 511 and launched on the 13th April 1912 and competed later the same month. The original owner was the Fairy Steam Trawler Company of Hartlepool. The manager was James B. Graham of 6 South Crescent, Hartlepool, who by 1915 had moved to 3 Albion Terrace. She was requisitioned by the Admiralty in October 1914 and converted into a Minesweeper. In 1919 she was returned to her owners and about this time she disappears from the Mercantile Navy List but continues to be listed in Lloyds.
Owners are shown as J. Graham & Sons, North Eastern Railway Buildings and Fish Quay, Hartlepool. In 1934 she is listed as owned by the Fairy Cove Steam Trawling Co. Ltd with J. B. Graham listed as Manager. Thanks to Magoonigal from Blyth for this information.
"Scema" (HL 79) which was built in Buckie between 1957 and 1958 by Jones Buckie. It was sold to North Shields in the mid 80's but, we understand, is now scrapped.
We are not exactly sure when this was taken but we are told that the happy smiling faces posing for the photograph are Billy Bell, Ron Breeze and his daughter. Thanks to Steve Horsley for the image from his collection.
"St. Christopher" (HL 39) sporting a rather loud colour scheme. We are told the owner was a Newcastle United fan and painted the vessel to look like a team shirt!
The Strandby (HL 7) fished from Hartlepool late during the 50s to mid 60s then she was sold on to North Shields. Thanks to Trish Lyon Sutherst for the photograph. Her father Sandy Lyon was the skipper and owner.
"Supreme Endeavour" (HL 109) taken here when owned by the Picknett family of Redcar and Hartlepool.
"Swiftwing" (HL 147) fished from Hartlepool during the late 60's early 70's.
Another old image of the Fish Quay as it was many years ago.
Fisherman Keith Fletcher, the skipper of JJ (HL11) got more than he bargained for when he hauled in his nets in May 2012 and discovered he had caught a skull bone from a 40-tonne whale. The massive bone was placed on the Fish Quay for a while and then was taken by the Hancock Museum, in Newcastle, to be cleaned up and then put on show. Further investigation also found that it belonged to a sperm whale, which can grow up to 67ft long and is the largest living toothed animal.
This was spotted on the hull of a fishing boat at the Fish Quay. No explanation is needed here I don't think!
Other sites you may find of interest relating to this page:
Registered and licensed vessels:
Copyright - 2018 - Hartlepool Fish Company Ltd | All Rights Reserved